Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mathew Street Festival, Liverpool



For the past seven years Every Bank Holiday in August has been spent at the Mathew Street Festival in Liverpool. Having living on the opposite side of the country, I must admit until 2002 I had never been to Liverpool.

The history and musical connections with the sixties groups such as The Beatles, Gerry and The Pacemakers, The Merseybeats, The Mojos, The Searchers, The Fourmost, Farons Flamingos, The Undertakers and The Dennisons but to name a few. Then there is the most famous club in the World, The Cavern, Mathew Street, Liverpool, where it all started back in the late fifties.

Although the original Cavern has was closed in 1973, the new Cavern is a replica of the original. I can remember walking down the stairs, the heat, sound and humidity increased with every step down. The atmosphere was electric. The bar was packed and trying to get served at the bar was an experience.

As my interest is photography I had to capture the moment. But as soon as I took my lens cap of the lens steamed up and I couldn’t see a thing. As the camera warmed up the lens cleared, I was able to take some descent shots of the acts belting out the sixties music.

As you climbed the stairs back out, all thirty two steps I believe, you could feel the air getting fresher and colder. Saying that, remember that this is a sunny day in August. It just appeared cold after an hour in The Cavern.

Then there are the Pubs. We like to visit as many of the back-street pubs as we can. Not just for the drink but maybe there’s a chance of a seat to take a well earned rest for ten minutes or so. The atmosphere in almost every pub is almost like a party.

Most of the weekend was spent at the various stages set around the city. It’s a party atmosphere that is hard to comprehend unless you have been there. On the Bank holiday Monday the streets are closed and the party really starts. By Monday evening you begin ache from the standing and walking. There’s very few places to sit, but there again you don’t want to - you want to see the acts.

Will we be going this year? Well now I’m getting on a bit now, in fact I’m the same age as the original Cavern. But will I be at this year’s Mathew Street Festival? – You bet I will!!

No comments:

Post a Comment