Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cleaning a Sensor of a Digital SLR Camera

I can’t believe it but I’ve had to admit my worst fear – The sensor on my beloved Canon 10D is dirty! Well not exactly dirty but filthy.

I couldn’t believe how filthy the dam thing was until I tried to shoot some isolated Still Life shots against a clean white background using a light tent. Then when I viewed the results, there they are. Not just one but several of the dam things. Big black blobs on the images, I was devastated to say the least.

Until recently I have always used my 40D for still life shots, I don’t know why, but I decided to use my 10D. I’ve only rarely used it in the studio before. I like the chunky feel of it, so it usually goes out with me. Saving the 40D for special occasions such as portraits and weddings, but this time I was shooting for Microstock so I thought the 10D would suffice.

So I’ve searched the web, as you do, and have taken on board what I think is best according to the information overload I have received. I have made a decision – I am going to clean the sensor?

I have ordered a kit from eBay and I wait for the dreaded day when it arrives and I have to do the dirty deed. Or is it clean deed, who cares I am dreading it. After all you hear so many horror stories don’t you?

Well all I can say is that I’ll keep you posted and we’ll see how it goes. But if the worst happens I’ll be back on eBay

Selling a well used Canon 10D for spares or repair!

No comments:

Post a Comment